The MQTT protocol is the de-facto standard for IoT messaging. Standardized by OASIS and ISO, MQTT publish/subscribe protocol provides a scalable and reliable way to connect devices over the Internet. Today, MQTT is used by many companies to connect millions of devices to the Internet.
Companies are using MQTT because:
- It requires minimal resources since it is lightweight and efficient
- Support bi-directional messaging between device and cloud
- Can scale to millions of connected devices
- Support reliable message delivery through 3 QoS levels
- Works well over unreliable networks
- Security enabled, so it works with TLS and common authentication protocols